My Appletite,

I’d always had perfect teeth. No fillings, no braces. I used to love crunchy food, or biting into chocolate that had just come out the fridge. The crunch food made when biting into it seemed to make it even more satisfying.

That was until two of my most visible teeth decided to grow wrong.

When I say wrong, I mean they grew through as if I were a baby vampire.

From the ages of nine until eleven, I never smiled in pictures, and became reliant on eating with my molars. This was highly frustrating, and I found myself more tempted by foods that usually I wasn’t too fussed about.

After numerous trips to the orthodontist, it seemed my only option was to have them removed, and braces to fill in the gaps… Brilliant. So instead of fixing the problem, they were going to replace my two tiny fangs, with the two fang like teeth next to them.

Eventually we found an orthodontist that agreed to cap my tiny teeth rather than get rid of them. However, it was under the condition that I stopped eating food that put a lot of pressure on my front teeth.

There was a list of food to avoid, yet the one that has haunted me the most is apples. I miss being able to just pick up an apple and eat it on the go. It’s a really convenient fruit for busy people, unless you’re me and have to have it sliced beforehand. I am lazy, therefore my diet became void of apples…Until now.

(I’ve grown an appletite)